School Logo Image
Policy Year: September 1, 2023 - August 31, 2024
The details below are a summary of benefits, limitations and exclusions do apply. Full benefit details can be found in the Benefit Booklet on the Alberta Blue Cross® Member Website. In the event of a discrepancy between the website and the benefit booklet, the benefit booklet will be taken as true. Overall Drug, Extended Health and Vision Maximum $5,000.00 per policy year, per insured.  The termination age for the Alberta University of the Arts Health & Dental Benefits is 70.  
Drug, Extended Health, Vision and Dental coverage is valid in Canada only.  Travel coverage is valid worldwide and is provided by Medavie Blue Cross™. Your Travel policy number is 99020. Please review your policy for full details.

  • Drug Coverage
  • Extended Health Coverage
  • Vision Coverage
  • Dental Coverage
  • Travel Coverage
  • Accident Coverage

Drug Coverage – 80% Coverage 

Overall Drug Maximum $3,500/Benefit Year

Direct2U + All Other Pharmacies:

80% Coverage  

80% Coverage

Generic Drugs

Brand Drugs

Dispensing Fee: 100% of any amount up to $10  


Mandatory Generic Product Selection

  • Brand name drugs will be covered at 80% up to the cost of the lowest-priced generic equivalent
  • Only those drugs which legally require a prescription and are eligible under the benefits will be covered 

Drug Benefit Also Includes: 

  • Vaccines* ($200/benefit year) 
  • Contraceptives - Oral, IUDs, Injectable 
  • Diabetic Supplies (test strips & needles, glucometers) {$200/benefit year} 
  • Hepatitis C Medications ($1,500/Lifetime) 
  • Smoking Cessation Products (Maximum of $500/Lifetime) 
  • Fertility Products (Maximum of $10,000/Lifetime) 
  • CNS Stimulants** (Maximum of $750/Benefit Year)
  • Biologic Agents (Maximum of $2,500/Benefit Year)


Want to know if your drug is eligible for coverage? Visit the Member Website and the My Benefits App and use the Alberta Blue Cross® Drug Look-Up Tool or our Eligible Drug Search tool to search by DIN or Drug name.   

* Vaccines are on a cost-reimbursement basis.  Students pay upfront & submit a Health Claim Form for reimbursement. Vaccines must be administered by a licensed retail pharmacy to be eligible for coverage
**CNS Simulants are medications used to increase physical activity, mental alertness and attention span.  They are often used in the treatment of Attention Deficit Disorder and/or hyperactivity Disorder (i.e. Adderall, Concerta, Vyvanse, Ritalin and their generic versions). 


Practitioner Coverage - 80% Coverage

Maximum of $300 combined per benefit year, $30 per visit maximum:

  • Podiatrist
  • Chiropodist
  • Speech Therapist

Maximum of $300 combined per benefit year, $30 per visit maximum:

  • Dietician
  • Osteopath
  • Naturopath

Maximum of $300 combined per benefit year, $30 per visit maximum:

  • Registered Massage Therapist*
  • Physiotherapist*
  • Chiropractor
 *Prescription required for first RMT & Physiotherapy claim each benefit year, if prescription is less than 12 months from date of issue, it can be used in subsequent benefit years.

Maximum of $300 combined per benefit year:

  • Psychologist**
  • Social Worker (MSW)**

**Clinical Counsellors and other mental health practitioners who do not meet the above criteria will not be considered eligible for coverage under these benefits. 

Other Medical Coverage- 100% Coverage

Coverage is to maximum indicated, unless otherwise stated:

  • Custom Orthotic Shoes & Orthopedic Appliances ($250/benefit year)***
  • Medical Equipment & Supplies (Reasonable & Customary)*** ****
  • Ambulance to nearest treating hospital ($500/benefit year - Reasonable & Customary)

***Prescribed by a medical doctor, chiropodist or podiatrist
****For a full listing of eligible expenses, please see the benefit booklet



Vision Coverage - 80% 

  • Eye Examinations, Frames, Lenses, Contact Lenses & Laser Eye Surgery - $150 every 24 months.
This coverage excludes expenses incurred for non-corrective sunglasses and safety glasses.  Please make sure to include your prescription (no more than 2 years old) along with your receipt when submitting claims for reimbursement. 

Frames, Lenses and Contact Lenses must be purchased from a Canadian provider to be considered eligible under the benefits.

Frames are only eligible if purchased in conjunction with prescription lenses.

Use code: VPSTVIP8 for 8% off at Vision Pros

Dental Coverage – 50- 70% Coverage

Pre-Determination: It is strongly recommended to obtain a pre-determination for extensive dental procedures to prevent unexpected costs. Have your dentist send a pre-determination electronically to Alberta Blue Cross®

Students can check to see if the dental code on their pre-determination is eligible on the benefits.  Note that this does not say how much is eligible, just if the code itself is eligible under your benefits.

If your claim is the result of a Dental Accident please go to the Accident Coverage section for more information.

Annual combined maximum of $750.00/year/insured Reimbursement based on Current Dental Fee Guide. Note that specialist fees will be paid at General Practitioner rates.

Examinations (70%) 

Complete Oral Examination (once every 5 years) / Limited and Recall examinations (once every 12 months)


Radiographs (70%) 

Complete series Periapical or Panoramic (once per 2 years) / Bitewing (2 images every 12 months)


Preventative Services (70%) 

Dental polishing (1x 15-minute unit every 12 months) / Scaling (12x 15-minute units every 12 months)


Minor Restorative (50%) 



Extractions (50%) 

Includes Wisdom Tooth Extractions


Limitations and Exclusions may apply. 

Before You Depart

Keep In Mind
  • Travel coverage cannot be extended past August 31 each policy year. If your travel duration exceeds August 31, please contact your health plan office or Student VIP for more information.
  • 365 days of coverage may not be valid for international students. Please contact the health plan office or Student VIP for confirmation before you leave the province.
  • Travel coverage offered through the plan is only valid if your provincial health care is in force for the entire duration of your travel. Please contact your provincial Ministry of Health office or download the appropriate travel flyer HERE for more information.


120 Days per Trip, $5,000,000 Maximum

Coverage Includes, but is not limited to:
  • Emergency medical assistance
  • Repatriation of mortal remains (maximum $7,500)
  • Airfare in the event of:
    • Missed return flight due to illness of you or travelling companion
    • Medically required attendant to accompany insured home
    • Cost of airfare for spouse or close relative if confined outside province for at least 7 days
    • Cost of airfare to return unsupervised children under the age of 15 home when only available supervising guardian is hospitalized
  • Cost of return of patient's vehicle when patient or family is unable to do so (maximum $1,000)
  • Costs incurred by family (when patient is detained in hospital) for meals and accommodation {maximum $150/day up to 20 days} ($3,000 Maximum/incident) 
  • Trip cancellation ($1,500 Maximum)
  • Lost luggage coverage ($500 Maximum)
  • International students will have 30 days of coverage in their home country for emergency services if provincial or equivalent coverage is extended as well.
  • Psych Coverage abroad- If you seek services abroad, you may claim your visits upon return to Canada and may be eligible for a refund. All claims are adjudicated in accordance with policy wording and eligible claims are refunded in Canadian dollars



Expenses incurred for injuries and/or illness as a result of the insured’s reckless behavior while on a trip, including international non-compliance with a prescribed treatment or therapy, or intentional misuse of medication or reckless disregard for their own health or safety while engaging in activities or treatment thereof, or accidents relating thereto.


Emergency Assistance

Are you currently travelling and need to contact your travel provider?


Within Canada (not your home province) and the United States: 1-800-563-4444
Anywhere else in the world, call collect: 1-506-854-2222

Please have the following information ready:


Personal Information

  1. Your name and Student ID
  2. Your Policy Number 99020

Travel Information

  1. Travel dates: departure date and return date (from/to) the home province
  2. Travel destination: City, State/Province (when applicable), Country
  3. Travel purpose

Medical Information

  1. Description of the medical emergency or need (symptoms, circumstances, etc.)
  2. Date of medical emergency or first onset of symptoms
Visa's & Travel Letters

Visa & Travel Letter Requests

  • Students requiring proof of coverage for their Visa application may complete the Visa & Travel Letter Request Form, your request will be reviewed and the letter e-mailed to you in 3-5 business days.
  • Students only require a travel letter if the country they are travelling to requires a letter for entry into the country, or if they have to apply for a travel visa. 
  • Domestic students travelling to Cuba do not require a travel letter, your provincial health coverage should be sufficient for entry into Cuba. 


J1 Visas

  • Applicants for a J1 Visa require specific levels of coverage in order to obtain the visa. We have provided an enhancement to the travel coverage to meet all requirements. If you are J1 visa applicant, please contact us at and we can assist with upgrading your coverage.

Provincial Health Coverage


Provincial Coverage & Travel

  • Those with a valid provincial health plan card may still have partial coverage for some emergency services while travelling abroad. For more information please visit the Ministry of Health website for the province your coverage is with.
  • Travel coverage offered through the plan is only valid if your provincial health care is in force for the entire duration of your travel. Please contact your provincial Ministry of Health office or download the appropriate travel flyer HERE for more information


Travel Advisories

Students planning to travel to counties with travel advisories issued to them should check to ensure coverage will be enforced while abroad, even if not planning to travel to an affected area.  

The Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website includes Travel Warnings and Advisories for specific countries experiencing civil unrest.  Their website is and the information is updated regularly.  We recommend that you check this website prior to leaving Canada for essential travel information.

When a Travel Warning or Advisory has been issued for a country that you are travelling to, it is important for you to be aware of the impact this may have on your Out-of-Canada Emergency Medical benefit with TravelRight.

Although your coverage itself may be allowed, expenses incurred while travelling in a country (or specific region of a country) for which there is a Government of Canada travel warning to avoid all travel or non-essential travel, when such travel warning was issued before the departure date and the loss or expense is related to the reason for which the travel warning was issued; or participation in a criminal act or attempt to commit a criminal act, regardless of whether charges are laid or a conviction is obtained; insurrection, war (declared or not), the hostile action of the armed forces of any country or participation in any riot or civil commotion, may not be eligible for coverage depending on the nature of the claim. All other benefit exclusions apply.

We encourage you to review your TravelRight brochure.  If you have any questions, contact us at 1-833-867-3468



Have you returned from your trip and need to make a claim?

For medical claims abroad (doctor visits, hospital visits, x-rays, lab work, etc.), please complete the Travel Claim Form Request and your claim form will be emailed to you.

For trip cancellation or interruption please complete this form. The attending physician form found here must also be completed if your trip cancellation or interruption is due to medical reasons.

For baggage claims, please complete this form and submit it  
to the Travel Claims Department.

If you wish to speak to an agent:

  • Dial 1-833-867-3468

  • Select Prompt 1 for English

Still need assistance? Please email or Live Chat with us by heading to the home page of this site and clicking the "Live Chat" button.


Important Reminders
  • All claims must be accompanied by original receipts and the original claim form

  • Time Limit to Submit a Claim:  Blue Cross must receive proof of claim within 4 months of the date the expense was incurred to be eligible for maximum reimbursement under the benefit.  Blue Cross will accept claims up to 12 months from the date the expense was incurred.  However, the claim may be subject to reductions.  

  • Please take copies or scans of ALL documents and receipts before submitting your claim


Frequently Asked Questions


Do I need to notify my province when I leave?

  • You do not need to notify your province However, you will need to make sure you have extended your provincial coverage if required based on your time out of your province/Canada. For more information, please click here.


I am an international student, does this affect my coverage?

  • Yes, you must have private or provincial health care in place in order for the Student VIP Travel Right coverage to be in place. In addition, the duration of coverage under these benefits mirrors the duration of coverage from your alternate insurance. For example, if your private benefits cover you for 60 days, we will cover you for 60 days.


How do I get a card before I leave?

  • Your Health and Dental Benefits card is also your travel card. Please click here for your wallet card.


Do I need to notify anyone before I leave Canada/my province?

  • You do not need to notify us. However, there may be a requirement to notify your University International Office if you are going on a school related trip. Please consult your school for these requirements.


How do I get a letter of proof of coverage?

  • If you require a letter of proof of coverage, please click here.


If I need to see a doctor while out of country will I have to pay up front?

  • You may need to pay up front if you do not call us in advance. Please call before seeking medical attention so we can help direct you to a medical facility and arrange direct billing on your behalf. If you do pay up front, you can submit a claim.
  • Please call us:

Travel within Canada and US: 1-800-563-4444

Anywhere else in the world (Call collect): 1-506-854-2222


A travel advisory has been issued for my destination, what do I do?

Please contact us to discuss your coverage options for destinations where a travel advisory has been issued. You can reach us at 1-833-867-3468 and ask to speak to the Travel Department.

COVID-19 Updates

Updated August 19th 2021

For plans with travel coverage, plan members continue to be eligible for emergency hospital and medical expenses, including any claims related to COVID-19, subject to existing maximums and all other terms, conditions and limitations of your policy.
Coverage does not include:

  • Any COVID-19 testing, including those required by governments to re-enter the country
  • Any costs related to delays caused by testing requirements
  • Any costs related to quarantines, including those mandated by governments.
For plans with trip cancellation insurance, since COVID-19 is considered a known situation, cancelling or interrupting a trip for a reason related to the pandemic remains not covered.
We continue to encourage all members to carefully review the guidance available at around international travel and requirements around returning to Canada, and to regularly check the site for any new or updated information.

Updated October 16th 2020

Medavie Blue Cross will not enforce an exclusion for expenses incurred in a country for which there is a Government of Canada warning. Such a warning remains in effect for all countries outside Canada.
To qualify for coverage, before departure the member must:

  • Be symptom free
  • Have not tested positive (or be awaiting a test result), and
  • Have not been in contact with anyone who tested positive in the last 14 days.
This temporary change will cover departures between September 1st, 2020 and July 15th, 2021. All other terms of the contract remain in effect.
All trip cancellation and interruption expenses remain NOT COVERED if the reason is due to a government warning, unless the trip was booked on or before March 15th, 2020.

Travel coverage is provided by Medavie Blue Cross™. Your Travel policy number is 99020.

What is an Accident?

An accident means an occurrence due to external, violent, sudden, fortuitous causes beyond the insured’s control, which must occur while the student is insured under this policy. 

What is Covered?

Accidental Death & Dismemberment    Maximum $5,000      

Payment of a stipulated sum for loss of life or limb through accidental means, provided such loss occurs within 365 days after the date of accident causing such loss


Accidental Dental      Maximum $2,000    

Injury to whole and sound teeth, and within 30 days from the day of the accident obtains treatment in Canada from a qualified dentist. Reimbursement will only be provided on expenses which are: incurred in Canada, incurred within 52 weeks of the date of the accident causing injury, incurred only for therapeutic and not elective or aesthetic treatment, and supported by an original standard dental claim form.


Accidental Medical       Maximum $10,000      

If within 30 days from the accident causing injury, the insured obtains medical treatment in Canada may be reimbursed for the following reasonable and necessary expenses to the specified maximum per Insured for all injuries resulting from any one accident: 

  • Duty nurse ($50/hour, $5,000 maximum)

  • Ambulance ($5,000)

  • Semi-private hospital room ($5,000)

  • Wheelchair rental (Reasonable & Customary)

  • Fee for services of a licensed physiotherapist ($500) 

  • Hearing aids, crutches, splints, casts, trusses and braces, excluding replacement (Reasonable & Customary)

  • HIV Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) for bodily injuries sustained in the performance of duties required by your program of study

Expenses must be incurred in Canada, within 52 weeks of the date of the accident causing injury, incurred for only therapeutic and not elective treatment, and supported by original receipts.


Tutorial Expense       Maximum $20/hour up to $2,000     

If insured suffers injury resulting in hospital or medically necessary bed rest and is confined for at least 15 consecutive school days, as determined by a physician, the insurer will pay for the private tutorial services of a qualified teacher.


Repatriation        Maximum $10,000    

If injury causing loss of life occurs more than 50 kilometers from insured’s permanent city of residence and within 365 days of the date of the accident causing injury, the insurer shall pay the actual expenses incurred for preparing the deceased insured for burial or cremation and shipment of the body to the city of residence of the deceased insured.

(New for 2022-23)
Day Care Benefit        Maximum 5%, up to $5,000 per year/5 Year Total   

If the Insured sustains an Injury that results in payment being made for loss of life. The Insurer will pay the reasonable and necessary day care expenses incurred for any dependent Child 12 years of age and under. Child must be enrolled in a legally licensed day care centre on the date of accident or within 365 days following the date of accident.

live chat