School Logo Image
Your Coverage
Policy Year: September 1, 2021 - August 31, 2022

The details below are a summary of benefits, limitations and exclusions do apply. Full benefit details can be found in the Benefit Booklet on the Medavie Blue Cross™ Portal. In the event of a discrepancy between the website and the benefit booklet, the benefit booklet will be taken as true.

Overall Extended Health, Drug and Vision Maximum $10,000 per benefit year, per insured. The termination age for the BUSU Health & Dental Benefits is 70.  

Did you know that as a Manitoba resident, you have access to Prescription Drug coverage through Manitoba Pharmacare, as well as your BUSU Health Benefits? Click here to find out more! 

Drug, Extended Health, Vision and Dental coverage is valid in Canada only.  Travel coverage is valid worldwide. Please review your policy for full details.

For ongoing and up to date COVID-19 information relating to your coverage and services, please HERE.

  • Drug Coverage at Preferred Pharmacies (MedSafe/Direct2U) is now 100% for Generic Drugs and 80% for Brand Drugs.
  • Drug Coverage at all other pharmacies is now 80% for Generic Drugs and 60% for Brand Drugs.
  • Eye Examinations are now 100% covered, up to $75 every 24 months.
  • Frames, Lenses & Contact Lenses are now 100% covered, up to $150 every 24 months.
  • Dental Services such as Scaling, Polishing, Oral Examinations & Radiographs are now covered at 80%.
  • Endodontic and Periodontic services are now covered at 65%.

  • Drug Coverage
  • Extended Health Coverage
  • Vision Coverage
  • Dental Coverage
  • Travel Coverage
  • Accident Coverage
  • Home Country Coverage

Drug Coverage - 60% - 100% Coverage

Did you know that as a Manitoba resident, you have access to Prescription Drug coverage through Manitoba Pharmacare, as well as your BUSU Health Plan? Click here for more.

Overall Drug Maximum: $5,000/benefit year

100% Coverage

80% Coverage

Generic Drugs

Brand Drugs

Dispensing Fee: 100% of any amount up to $7 

All Other Pharmacies

80% Coverage  

60% Coverage

Generic Drugs

Brand Drugs

Dispensing Fee: 100% of any amount up to $4 

Mandatory Generic Product Selection

  • Brand name drugs will be covered up to the amounts listed above up to the cost of the lowest-priced generic equivalent.
  • Only those drugs which legally require a prescription and are eligible under the benefits will be covered.


Drug Plan also Includes: 

  • Standard Preventative Vaccines ($150/lifetime) **
  • Contraceptives - Oral, IUD, Injectable (IUD/Non-Hormonal $200/benefit year, 1 per 5/benefit years)

  • Diabetic Supplies (test strips & needles, glucometers may be covered under Extended Health)

  • Hepatitis C Medications ($1,500/lifetime)

  • Biologic Agents ($1,000/benefit year)

Drug Plan does NOT Include: 

  • Gardasil Vaccine

  • Fertility Drugs/Treatment

  • Smoking Cessation Aids/Remedies

  • Anti-Obesity Drugs/Products

  • Erectile Dysfunction Drugs

Want to know if your drug is eligible for coverage? Check out our Eligible Drug Search tool to find out! 

*Vaccinations must be administered by a licensed retail pharmacy to be eligible for coverage. 

Practitioner Coverage – 100% Coverage

Maximum $300 combined per benefit year, $40/visit maximum:

  • Acupuncture
  • Chiropractor
  • Chiropodist
  • Podiatrist
  • Naturopath
  • Osteopath
  • Dietitian
  • Physiotherapist / Registered Massage Therapist

Maximum $800 combined per benefit year

  • Psychologist
  • Social Worker (MSW)
  • Psychotherapist**
  • Speech Therapist
*Clinical Counsellors and other mental health practitioners who do not meet the above criteria will not be considered eligible for coverage under these benefits. 
**Psychotherapists must be in good standing with the college in their province, as well as registered as a provider with Medavie Blue Cross and be issued a provider number.

Click here to see a list of counsellors near you that you can access to help you get the care you need. 


Other Medical Coverage- 100% Coverage

Coverage is to maximum indicated, unless otherwise stated:

  • Orthotic Appliances or Custom Orthopedic Shoes ($250/benefit year)*** **** *****
  • Medical Equipment & Supplies (Reasonable & Customary)*** ****
  • Ambulance to Nearest Treating Hospital ($1,000 /benefit year - Reasonable & Customary)

***Prescribed by a medical doctor, an orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist 
****For a full listing of eligible expenses, please see the benefit booklet

*****Must be obtained from one of the following providers: podiatrist, chiropodist, pedorthist, orthoptist, or chiropractor (with an orthotic agreement on file)



Vision Coverage - 100% Coverage

  • Eye Examinations - $75 every 24 months
  • Frames, Lenses & Contact Lenses - $150 every 24 months

This coverage excludes expenses incurred for non-corrective sunglasses and safety glasses.  Please make sure to include your prescription (no more than 2 years old) along with your receipt when submitting claims for reimbursement. 

Frames, Lenses and Contact Lenses must be purchased from a Canadian provider to be considered eligible under the benefits.

Frames are only eligible if purchased in conjunction with prescription lenses.

Lasik or Laser Eye Surgery are NOT covered under the benefits.


Vision Pros

Use code: VPSTVIP8 for 8% off at Vision Pros

Dental Coverage – 50% - 80% Coverage

Pre-Authorization: It is strongly recommended to obtain a pre-determination for extensive dental procedures to prevent unexpected costs. Have your dentist send a pre-determination along with your name and Student ID to Medavie Blue Cross™ at fax: 506-867-4651.

Students can check to see if the dental code on their pre-determination is eligible under the benefits. Login to the Blue Cross Member Portal to find out! Note that this does not say how much is eligible, just if the code itself is eligible under your benefits.

Annual combined maximum of $700/year/insured
Reimbursement based on Current Dental Fee Guide. Note that specialist fees will be paid at General Practitioner rates.

Examinations (80%)

Complete oral examination (once every 5 years) / Limited/recall examination (once every 12 months)

Radiographs (80%)

Complete series Periapical or Panoramic (once every 5 years)  / Bitewing (once every 12 months)

Preventative Services (80%)

Dental polishing (1, 15-minute unit every 12 months) / Scaling (1, 15-minute unit every 12 months)

Minor Restorative (65%)


Extractions (50%)

Includes wisdom tooth extractions

Anesthesia (50%)

When in conjunction with surgical services

Other Dental Coverage (65%) 

Endodontic / Periodontics 

Major Restorative (50%)
Major Restoration


Limitations and Exclusions may apply.

Before You Depart

Keep In Mind

  • Travel coverage cannot be extended past August 31 each policy year. If your travel duration exceeds August 31, please contact your health plan office or Student VIP for more information.
  • 365 days of coverage may not be valid for international students. Please contact the health plan office or Student VIP for confirmation before you leave the province.
  • Travel coverage offered through the plan is only valid if your provincial health care is in force for the entire duration of your travel. Please contact your provincial Ministry of Health office or download the appropriate travel flyer HERE for more information.



365 Days per Trip, $2,000,000 Maximum

Coverage Includes, but is not limited to:

  • Emergency medical assistance

  • Repatriation of mortal remains (maximum $7,500)

  • Airfare in the event of:

    • Missed return flight due to illness of you or travelling companion

    • Medically required attendant to accompany insured home

    • Cost of airfare for spouse or close relative if confined outside province for at least 7 days 

    • Cost of airfare to return unsupervised children under the age of 15 home when only available supervising guardian is hospitalized

  • Cost of return of patient's vehicle when patient or family is unable to do so (maximum $1,000)

  • Costs incurred by family (when patient is detained in hospital) for meals and accommodation {maximum $150/day up to 20 days} ($3,000 Maximum/Incident) 

  • Trip cancellation ($5,000 Maximum) 

  • Lost luggage coverage ($500 Maximum)

  • International students will have 30 days of coverage in their home country for emergency services if provincial or equivalent coverage is extended as well

  • Psych Coverage abroad- If you seek services abroad, you may claim your visits upon return to Canada and may be eligible for a refund. All claims are adjudicated in accordance with policy wording and eligible claims are refunded in Canadian dollars


Expenses incurred for injuries and/or illness as a result of the insured’s reckless behavior while on a trip, including international non-compliance with a prescribed treatment or therapy, or intentional misuse of medication or reckless disregard for their own health or safety while engaging in activities or treatment thereof, or accidents relating thereto. 

Emergency Assistance

Are you currently travelling and need to contact your travel provider?

Within Canada (not your home province) and the United States: 1-800-563-4444
Anywhere else in the world, call collect: 1-506-854-2222


Please have the following information ready:


Personal Information

  1. Your name and Student ID
  2. Your Policy Number 0091933000

Travel Information

  1. Travel dates: departure date and return date (from/to) the home province
  2. Travel destination: City, State/Province (when applicable), Country
  3. Travel purpose

Medical Information

  1. Description of the medical emergency or need (symptoms, circumstances, etc.)
  2. Date of medical emergency or first onset of symptoms
Visa's and Travel Letters

Visa & Travel Letter Request Forms

  • Students requiring proof of coverage for their Visa application may complete the Visa & Travel Letter Request Form, your request will be reviewed and the letter e-mailed to you in 3-5 business days.

  • Students only require a travel letter if the country they are travelling to requires a letter for entry into the country, or if they have to apply for a travel visa. 

  • Domestic students travelling to Cuba do not require a travel letter, your provincial health coverage should be sufficient for entry into Cuba. 

J1 Visas

  • Applicants for a J1 Visa require specific levels of coverage in order to obtain the visa. We have provided an enhancement to the travel coverage to meet all requirements. If you are J1 visa applicant, please contact us at and we can assist with upgrading your coverage.

Provincial Health Coverage

Provincial Coverage & Travel

  • Those with a valid provincial health plan card may still have partial coverage for some emergency services while travelling abroad. For more information please visit the Ministry of Health website for the province your coverage is with.
  • Travel coverage offered through the plan is only valid if your provincial health care is in force for the entire duration of your travel. Please contact your provincial Ministry of Health office or download the appropriate travel flyer HERE for more information.

Travel Advisories

Students planning to travel to counties with travel advisories issued to them should check to ensure coverage will be enforced while abroad, even if not planning to travel to an affected area.

The Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website includes Travel Warnings and Advisories for specific countries experiencing civil unrest.  Their website is and the information is updated regularly.  We recommend that you check this website prior to leaving Canada for essential travel information.

When a Travel Warning or Advisory has been issued for a country that you are travelling to, it is important for you to be aware of the impact this may have on your Out-of-Canada Emergency Medical benefit with TravelRight.

Although your coverage itself may be allowed, expenses incurred while travelling in a country (or specific region of a country) for which there is a Government of Canada travel warning to avoid all travel or non-essential travel, when such travel warning was issued before the departure date and the loss or expense is related to the reason for which the travel warning was issued; or participation in a criminal act or attempt to commit a criminal act, regardless of whether charges are laid or a conviction is obtained; insurrection, war (declared or not), the hostile action of the armed forces of any country or participation in any riot or civil commotion, may not be eligible for coverage depending on the nature of the claim. All other benefit exclusions apply.

We encourage you to review your TravelRight brochure.  If you have any questions, contact us at 1-833-867-3468.


Have you returned from your trip and need to make a claim?

For medical claims abroad (doctor visits, hospital visits, x-rays, lab work, etc.), please complete the Travel Claim Form Request and your claim form will be emailed to you.

For trip cancellation or interruption please complete this form. The attending physician form found here must also be completed if your trip cancellation or interruption is due to medical reasons.

For baggage claims, please complete
this form.

If you wish to speak to an agent:
  • Dial 1-833-867-3468

  • Select prompt 1 for English

  • Select prompt 2

  • then select prompt 5 and ask to speak to the Travel Claims Department.


Still need assistance? Please email or Live Chat with us by heading to the home page of this site and clicking the "Live Chat" button.


Important Reminders

  • All claims must be accompanied by original receipts and the original claim form

  • ​Time Limit to Submit a Claim:  Blue Cross must receive proof of claim within 4 months of the date the expense was incurred to be eligible for maximum reimbursement under the benefit.  Blue Cross will accept claims up to 12 months from the date the expense was incurred.  However, the claim may be subject to reductions.  

  • Please take copies or scans of ALL documents and receipts before submitting your claim

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to notify my province when I leave?

  • You do not need to notify your province However, you will need to make sure you have extended your provincial coverage if required based on your time out of your province/Canada. For more information, please click here.

I am an international student, does this affect my coverage?

  • Yes, you must have private or provincial health care in place in order for the Student VIP Travel Right coverage to be in place. In addition, the duration of coverage under this plan mirrors the duration of coverage from your alternate insurance. For example, if your private plan covers you for 60 days, we will cover you for 60 days.


How do I get a card before I leave?

  • Your Health and Dental Benefits card is also your travel card. Please click here for your wallet card.


Do I need to notify anyone before I leave Canada/my province?

  • You do not need to notify us. However, there may be a requirement to notify your University International Office if you are going on a school related trip. Please consult your school for these requirements.


How do I get a letter of proof of coverage?

  • If you require a letter of proof of coverage, please click here.


If I need to see a doctor while out of country will I have to pay up front?

  • You may need to pay up front if you do not call us in advance. Please call before seeking medical attention so we can help direct you to a medical facility and arrange direct billing on your behalf. If you do pay up front, you can submit a claim.
  • Please call us:

Travel within Canada and US- 1-800-563-4444

Anywhere else in the world (Call collect) – 1-506-854-2222


A travel advisory has been issued for my destination, what do I do?

  • Please contact us to discuss your coverage options for destinations where a travel advisory has been issued. You can reach us at 1-833-867-3468 and ask to speak to the Travel Department.


COVID-19 Updates
Updated August 19, 2021

For plans with travel coverage, plan members continue to be eligible for emergency hospital and medical expenses, including any claims related to COVID-19, subject to existing maximums and all other terms, conditions and limitations of your policy.
Coverage does not include:

  • Any COVID-19 testing, including those required by governments to re-enter the country
  • Any costs related to delays caused by testing requirements
  • Any costs related to quarantines, including those mandated by governments.
For plans with trip cancellation insurance, since COVID-19 is considered a known situation, cancelling or interrupting a trip for a reason related to the pandemic remains not covered.
We continue to encourage all members to carefully review the guidance available at around international travel and requirements around returning to Canada, and to regularly check the site for any new or updated information.

Medavie Blue Cross will not enforce an exclusion for expenses incurred in a country for which there is a Government of Canada warning. Such a warning remains in effect for all countries outside Canada.
To qualify for coverage, before departure the member must:

  • Be symptom free
  • Have not tested positive (or be awaiting a test result), and
  • Have not been in contact with anyone who tested positive in the last 14 days.
This temporary change will cover departures between September 1st, 2020 and July 15th, 2021. All other terms of the contract remain in effect.
All trip cancellation and interruption expenses remain NOT COVERED if the reason is due to a government warning, unless the trip was booked on or before March 15th, 2020.


Full details can be found in the Travel Brochure


What is an Accident?

An accident means an occurrence due to external, violent, sudden, fortuitous causes beyond the insured’s control, which must occur while the student is insured under this policy. 


What is Covered?

Accidental Death & Dismemberment      Maximum $7,500 

Payment of a stipulated sum for loss of life or limb through accidental means, provided such loss occurs within 365 days after the date of accident causing such loss


Accidental Dental      Maximum $2,000 

Injury to whole and sound teeth, and within 30 days from the day of the accident obtains treatment in Canada from a qualified dentist. Reimbursement will only be provided on expenses which are: incurred in Canada, incurred within 52 weeks of the date of the accident causing injury, incurred only for therapeutic and not elective or aesthetic treatment, and supported by an original standard dental claim form.


Accidental Medical      Maximum $20,000 

If within 30 days from the accident causing injury, the insured obtains medical treatment in Canada may be reimbursed for the following reasonable and necessary expenses to the specified maximum per Insured for all injuries resulting from any one accident: 

  • Duty nurse ($50/hour, $5,000 maximum)

  • Ambulance ($5,000)

  • Semi-private hospital room ($5,000)

  • Wheelchair rental (Reasonable & Customary)

  • Fee for services of a licensed physiotherapist ($500)

  • Hearing aids, crutches, splints, casts, trusses and braces, excluding replacement (Reasonable & Customary)

  • HIV Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) for bodily injuries sustained in the performance of duties required by your program of study

Expenses must be incurred in Canada, within 52 weeks of the date of the accident causing injury, incurred for only therapeutic and not elective treatment, and supported by original receipts.


Tutorial Expense      Maximum $20/hour up to $2000

If insured suffers injury resulting in hospital or medically necessary bed rest and is confined for at least 15 consecutive school days, as determined by a Physician, the insurer will pay for the private tutorial services of a qualified teacher.


Repatriation      Maximum $15,000 

If injury causing loss of life occurs more than 50 kilometers from insured’s permanent city of residence and within 365 days of the date of the accident causing injury, the insurer shall pay the actual expenses incurred for preparing the deceased insured for burial or cremation and shipment of the body to the city of residence of the deceased insured.

As we welcome students back to campus,  the Home Country coverage will terminate at midnight on August 31st.   As such, please submit any outstanding claims by September 30th for processing.

Brandon is committed to supporting international students who are studying remotely in their home country this academic year by providing continued access to the Brandon Health and Dental Benefits outside of Canada! 

Yes, that means if you are studying remotely in your home country for the fall term or even the whole year, you can use your Brandon Health and Dental Benefits. 

What's important to know? 

  • Coverage is available worldwide in a student's home country only. 
  • Claims incurred outside of your home country are not eligible. 
  • Services are eligible as per the terms and conditions of the existing plan design with the exception of the Accident and Travel portion of the benefits. 
  • There is no coverage under the Accident and Travel benefits. 
  • Students must pay up front for services and file a claim. 
  • All claims are reimbursed in Canadian funds. 
  • All claims must accompany a completed claim form and paid in full receipt. 
  • Students are required to translate the services on the claim. 

To learn more information about the home country coverage, please click here.

Home Country Health & Dental Benefits are for international students studying remotely in their home country due to COVID-19 only. This does not apply to students studying or working abroad.